What do you do when you suddenly need Whirlpool dishwasher parts? Dishwasher disasters can strike at any time. Your dishwasher goes through a lot of abuse. You use it every day, often several times. After big holidays such as Thanksgiving, you push it to the limits. Yet, it continues to do its job with no complaints. It’s one of the most useful appliances in your home!
However, all that use and abuse takes its toll, and eventually, things will break. When that happens, you can spend your life savings and have a repairman come over. Or you can fix it yourself. Whirlpool dishwasher parts are fairly inexpensive. If you buy a generic part, you’ll save even more money.
But wait, aren’t generic parts bad for your dishwasher? The answer is not so clear-cut. Some are bad. You should stick with Whirlpool-only parts for important things such as the pump and the spray arm. Other things you can fix with an after-market part just as well as with Whirlpool dishwasher parts.
Whirlpool Dishwasher Parts FAQ
Some of the most common parts to break that you can easily replace with a generic brand are the door gaskets, the upper spray arm mount, and the silverware basket. There are plenty of manufacturers making comparable Whirlpool dishwasher parts. Before you go and buy just any old part, get to know more about it. This will help you make an informed decision.
This is the seal around the door that stops water from leaking out. It’s a long rubber band. Sometimes it’s called simply a “door seal,” but for Whirlpool dishwasher parts, it’s a door gasket. The door gasket fits around the rim of the door and provides a nice, snug fit when you close it. This prevents all that spinning and sloshing water from spraying all over your kitchen.
You can pick up a door gasket wherever they sell Whirlpool dishwasher parts. The most common locations are Home Depot, Walmart, and Amazon. It depends on the model number of your Whirlpool dishwasher and the maker of the door gasket.
pray arm mounts
You know those arms inside your dishwasher which spin crazily and shoot water all over the place, cleaning your dishes in the process? Those are the spray arms. There’s one on the top and one on the bottom. The spray arm mount is a plastic piece which attaches the spray arms to the dishwasher. The spray arm mount not only joins the spray arm to the dishwasher, but it also helps the water flow from the pump into the spray arm and allows the spray arm to spin without any friction.
You can pick up a spray arm mount from most retailers that carry Whirlpool dishwasher parts. Home Depot and Amazon are your best choices. The price largely depends on the manufacturer.
This is the basket you put all your silverware in, so they can get squeaky clean in your Whirlpool dishwasher. They come in all shapes and sizes but perform the same function. The silverware basket doesn’t do much. It kind of just sits there. You load it with knives, forks, spoons, spatulas, chopsticks, etc. You get the idea. One thing it definitely does do is take a lot of punishment.
Silverware baskets are found everywhere. Walmart, Target, Amazon, Sears, garage sales, you name it. There are many to choose from, but you’ll want to make sure you get one that fits your Whirlpool dishwasher. An official Whirlpool silverware basket will cost more, while a generic basket will cost less.
How We Reviewed
Because there are so many Whirlpool dishwasher parts to choose from, we narrowed our list down to the three parts that most commonly break, and which you can buy from an after-market manufacturer. These are the door gasket, the upper spray arm mount, and the silverware basket.
Although you’ll be perfectly safe with a certified Whirlpool dishwasher part, you can save money with a generic or after-market brand. We’ve reviewed three different makers of each part. One is the Whirlpool dishwasher part, and two are after-market dishwasher parts. We visited the website for each company to learn a little about them.
Next, we examined customer reviews on Amazon. Because we trust reviews written by real people, we read through lots of real-world experiences to get an idea of how well these parts perform. Are they worth it? Should you pay extra for a Whirlpool dishwasher part or will a generic part do the job for a lot less?
Door gaskets, spray arm mounts, and silverware baskets are all key parts of any dishwasher. They also are some of the most common parts to break after lots of use. If you walk into your kitchen and see a small lake forming on the floor, chances are you’ve got a worn door gasket.
On the other hand, if you run your washer and when you open it up, you notice a deep puddle of water on the bottom, but none of your dishes have been cleaned, then you’ve got a spray arm mount problem. This happens when residue from food and soap builds up inside the mount. Intense heat will eventually cause this residue to expand and will crack the mount, which means it's time for a new one.
Silverware baskets get beaten and battered. They even get sliced. Everyone tends to toss their silverware into the basket, usually from a height, and with the high heat, pressurized water, and food residue punishing the plastic basket, it’s only a matter of time before you’ll need a new one.
Whirlpool has been making home appliances since 1911. They are based in Michigan and are proud to be the largest dishwasher manufacturer in the world. Whirlpool dishwasher parts are all made in America.
The Whirlpool door gasket is a genuine Whirlpool dishwasher part. There are different sizes for different models, so you’ll need to check the model number on your dishwasher. It’s black and made with high-quality, durable rubber. Because it’s a Whirlpool dishwasher part, you’re getting something made just for your Whirlpool dishwasher. It’s genuine and designed specifically for your model.
It's also the most expensive door gasket you can buy. However, price doesn’t always mean quality when dealing with rubber tubes. You can pick up a genuine. Every Whirlpool dishwasher part comes with a limited 90-day warranty that covers basic manufacturer defects. .
Next up is Think Crucial. They have been in business since 2009. The company is based in the U.S., and their goal is to sell you “crucial home items” direct from manufacturers at a fraction of the cost of the big brand names. This door gasket is designed and engineered by Think Crucial. It was made to fit your Whirlpool dishwasher. The black rubber gasket is manufactured in the USA. This door gasket is a fraction of the cost of the Whirlpool door gasket. It does the job just as well and is made with the same materials.
Because it’s not a genuine Whirlpool dishwasher part, using this may violate your dishwasher’s warranty.
- ✅ EASY TO INSTALL: It is made exactly fit for most top name brands (Maytag, Amana, Magic Chef, Jenn-Air, Admiral, Crosley, Whirlpool), and replaces part numbers: WP99002588, AP6014445, PS11747684.
- ✅ FIT MODELS: [Amana] - ADB1200AWB, ADB1200AWQ, ADB1200AWS, ADB1200AWW, ADB1500AWB, ADB1500AWB0, ADB1500AWB1, ADB1500AWB10, ADB1500AWB2, ADB1500AWB3, ADB1500AWB37, ADB1500AWB41, ADB1500AWB46, ADB1500AWQ, ADB1500AWQ0, etc. [Maytag] - MDB4651AWB1, MDB4651AWB3, MDB4651AWB40, MDB4651AWB42, MDB4651AWQ0, MDB4651AWS0, MDB4651AWS41, MDB4651AWW0, etc.
- ✅ PREMIUM QUALITY: The replacement part is made from durable high quality material and well-tested by the manufacturer - Meets OEM standards - Ensure long-lasting and effective performance. The function of this part is to provide a waterproof blockage between the dishwasher tub and the outer edge of the door. If there is breakage in your part you will know quickly, as the most common symptom of needing to replace this piece is leakage from your dishwasher door.
Blue Stars LLC is an Egyptian after-market parts maker which sells mostly on Amazon. The majority of their manufacturing is done in China. This door gasket is made to fit Whirlpool, Kenmore, and Frigidaire dishwashers. It has been tested by the manufacturer. Customers seem to love this company's products and prices. However, buyers don't know exactly where, or how, this gasket is made. It could also violate your dishwasher's warranty.
This is a genuine Whirlpool dishwasher part that consists of plastic and chrome. It fits your Whirlpool dishwasher perfectly, and Whirlpool’s warranty covers it. It's also super-easy to install. This spray arm mount comes with a limited 90-day warranty.
- ✅ EASY TO INSTALL: It is made exactly fit for most top name brands (Kenmore, Whirlpool, Inglis, KitchenAid), and replaces part numbers: 8268844, WP8539324, 9742994, AP6013024, WP8539324VP, PS11746245, EAP11746245, AH734019.
- ✅ FIT MODELS: [Kenmore] - 110773811, 110773812, 110773813, 110773881, 110773882, 110773883, 665.1588791, 665.15897990, 665.1597299, etc. [Whirlpool] - DU1000CGB1, DU1000CGB2, DU1000CGQ1, DU1000CGQ2, DU1000CGT2, DU1000CGZ1, DU925SCGQ1, DU925SCGQ3, DU925SCGZ2, etc. [KitchenAid] - KUDC24SESS24, KUDC24SESS4, KUDC25CHBL0, KUDC25CHSS0, KUDG25SHAL0, KUDG25SHBL0, KUDI24SEAL1, etc.
- ✅ PREMIUM QUALITY: The replacement part is made from durable high quality material and well-tested by the manufacturer - Meets OEM standards - Ensure long-lasting and effective performance. This part fixes the following symptoms: Not cleaning dishes properly | Leaking | Noisy | Door won’t close.
This part is white and made of plastic. It is manufactured in China and works with most Whirlpool, Kenmore and Frigidaire dishwashers. Although it is Inexpensive and super-easy to install, it's also a lesser quality than the Whirlpool dishwasher part. It could violate your warranty. It comes with Blue Stars 90-day limited warranty.
Seneca River Trading is a manufacturer based in upper New York state. They retail primarily on Amazon. This all-plastic spray arm mount will fit most Whirlpool dishwashers. This part is easy to install. It’s also very affordable. Unfortunately, the manufacturer is a little hard to track down. This part comes with no warranty and might violate your dishwasher’s warranty if you install it.
- Works with the following models: Whirlpool KUDA03CTBL0, Whirlpool KUDA03CTBL2, Whirlpool KUDA03CTBL3
- Works with the following models: Whirlpool KUDA03CTWH0, Whirlpool KUDA03CTWH2
- Works with the following models: Whirlpool KUDA03CTBS2, Whirlpool KUDA03CTBS3
This is a basic Whirlpool dishwasher part. It’s made of plastic and looks fairly unremarkable. As a Whirlpool silverware basket, it’s designed to fit your dishwasher perfectly. Unfortunately, considering it is just plastic, it is overpriced and doesn’t perform any better than a cheaper basket. These baskets come with Whirlpool’s 90-day warranty.
- ✅ Divides into 2 BASKETS or combines into 1 making it easier to fit most dishwasher models. Please see listed dimensions below or in the photos to ensure it is suitable for your dishwasher. BEST TO MEASURE YOUR DISHWASHER SPACE BEFORE PURCHASING.
- ✅ AMPLE SPACE with 7 compartments for your cutleries and other kitchen utensils.
- ✅ Comes with double sided or reversible CLEAN DIRTY INDICATOR to stop you from guessing whether your dishes have been cleaned or not. Simply flip to “CLEAN” when you start your dishwasher. Then, flip back to “DIRTY” once dishwasher is empty or loaded. BEST TO MAKE SURE YOUR APPLIANCE IS MAGNETIC.
Lemon House is one of the most common manufacturers of after-market silverware baskets. You’re sure to find them in Walmart and on Amazon. They are a Chinese-based company.
One thing that's neat about this silverware basket is that you can divide it into two separate baskets if you need to rearrange space. This one has seven compartments including one with a closing lid to keep small items inside. It has a “dirty/clean” indicator so you can see if you need to run the dishwasher or not. It also has a folding handle for easy carrying. This basket a ton of great features. It can fit almost any dishwasher of any size thanks to its versatility. There aren’t any cons to this silverware basket!
- Qualtex universal dishwasher cutlery basket
- Superior quality replacement basket which can store cutlery conveniently and organise silverware for cleaning
- Universal design so this basket will fit all models as long as the dimensions are suitable for your dishwasher
Finally, we have Qualtex. This is a UK-based spare parts maker. You can find their products at Home Depot, Walmart, Costco, Amazon, and more. This is a sturdy plastic basket that should fit most dishwasher models. It has eight compartments and looks like a standard silverware basket. This basket will fit your dishwasher without too many problems. It’s simple and doesn’t do anything more than hold your silverware. However, it may not fit your dishwasher if you have a smaller one.
Whirlpool Door Gasket
Think Crucial Generic Door Gasket
Blue Stars Ultra-durable Door Gasket
Whirlpool Spray Arm Mount
Blue Stars Spray Arm Mount
Seneca River Trading Spray Arm Mount
Whirlpool Silverware Basket
Lemon House Silverware Basket
Lemon House Silverware Basket
The Final Verdict
Now that you’ve had a chance to compare some after-market parts to genuine Whirlpool dishwasher parts, you have a better idea of what to buy. There are some key pieces of information to consider, mainly, how well do these parts work, and how do they affect your dishwasher’s warranty?
If you have an older Whirlpool dishwasher, you won’t have to worry about warranty issues. In that case, we highly recommend using the BlueStars door gasket. This part is much cheaper than the Whirlpool part and comes with a great warranty. Rubber is pretty much all the same, so there’s no point paying more.
However, if you have a dishwasher still under warranty, then we have to recommend using genuine Whirlpool dishwasher parts for both your door gaskets and spray arm mounts. If an after-market product were to fail and cause damage to your dishwasher, your warranty wouldn’t cover it.
Finally, if you need a new silverware basket, we recommend the Lemon House silverware basket. You don’t have to worry about warranties when you use a silverware basket. The Lemon House basket has great features and will fit almost anything. It’s also much cheaper than a Whirlpool silverware basket.
What’s your take on it? Should you buy genuine Whirlpool dishwasher parts, or will generic knock-offs do the job just as well? Let us know in the comments!
Last update on 2021-01-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API